MASON Greenwood has today arrived at court charged with attempted rape, assault and coercive control.
The Man Utd striker, 21, is accused of making “threatening and derogatory” comments towards the alleged victim.
Mason Greenwood has arrived at court charged with attempted rape[/caption]
He also allegedly accessed and monitored her social media accounts.
Greenwood has arrived at Minshull Street Crown Court today for his first appearance since he was granted bail last month.
The footballer was originally remanded in custody after being charged by police on October 15.
But a judge granted released him on the condition he does not contact witnesses, including the complainant, and resides at an address in Bowdon.
Read more on Man Utd
Greenwood’s court appearance comes as his Three Lions teammates prepare to take on Iran in their first World Cup 2022 game in Qatar.
The alleged offences relate to one woman and are said to have taken place between November 1, 2018, and October 15, 2022.
Greenwood is accused of “repeatedly engaging” in controlling and coercive behaviour for almost four years – including making threats and derogatory comments on social media.
He is also charged with attempting to rape her on October 21, 2021, and allegedly assaulted her between December 12, 2021, and December 31, 2021.
Most read in The Sun
Attempted rape carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment if convicted.
Police swooped on the footballer’s £15,000-a-month rented home in Trafford last month.
He was held on suspicion of being in contact with his alleged victim in a breach of his bail conditions.
The Crown Prosecution then authorised Greater Manchester Police to charge the footballer.
The striker has been waiting to discover his fate since he was first held in January this year.
He spent three nights in custody after he was arrested at his luxury rented home.
Greenwood was bailed on February 2 and has been keeping a relatively low profile since.
He was originally due to answer his bail on April 30 but the decision was pushed back after a court hearing in June.
At the time, the striker was suspended by Utd but still received his £75,000-a-week salary.
The club released a statement after Greenwood’s charge was announced.
A spokesperson said: “Manchester United notes that criminal charges have been brought against Mason Greenwood by the Crown Prosecution Service.
“He remains suspended by the club, pending the outcome of the judicial process.”
Greenwood was removed from FIFA 22 and dropped by sponsors Nike in the wake of the allegations.
Football Manager 2022 has also confirmed he will not feature in the game.
All merchandise bearing the No11’s name has been axed from the official Utd site and teammates have unfollowed him on Instagram.
Greenwood’s promising domestic and international career remains in jeopardy.
He last played for the Red Devils on January 22 when the team beat West Ham 1-0.
The player joined the team aged just six and rose through the ranks to land himself a regular spot on the first team.
In 2019, he became the youngest footballer to play for Utd in the Champions League when he took to the pitch aged 17.
Greenwood has made 129 appearances in total for the Red Devils and netted 35 goals.
Greenwood is missing England’s first World Cup game[/caption]